Hello and happy Tuesday! This week The Broke and the Bookish are hosting a discussion on the popular authors they’ve never read, and I can definitely chime in on that front. Whether it’s just not for me, or I have (shamefully, in some cases) never gotten around to it, here are my neglected popular authors:
1. Jane Austen. I know, okay?
2. John Grisham. It was actually B.J Novak who drew my attention to this with his short story about John Grisham and all the books he’s sold. That style of book just isn’t really my cup of tea (coffee).
3. Joan Didion. I’ve heard so many good things about her, and have The Year of Magical Thinking sitting next to me on a shelf, but I haven’t gotten there yet.
4. Neil Gaiman. Another one I’ve heard nothing but positive things about, and whose books I HAVE but have yet to read.
5. Tahereh Mafi. Eventually! Especially since I read a lot of YA and all the nice things Ransom Riggs says about her, aww.
6. E.L James. 50 Shades just isn’t for me, so I don’t plan on really getting around to this one.
7. George Orwell. Like Jane Austen, this one just makes me feel like a bad English major.
8. George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones (the show and the books) has such an obsessive fan base that I wish I could get into but I just can’t!
9. Danielle Steel. Such a popular author, and I see her books everywhere, but they just scream “mom books” to me.
10. James Patterson. Like John Grisham, his books just don’t appeal to me!
What are some popular authors you just haven’t gotten into yet?