With another stressful finals week coming to a close, college students find themselves taking a breath of fresh, salt air. With schoolwork behind us, summer can finally begin. Finally a time to lay back on the beach without a care in the world. For many, it is the first time in months that allows for time to read for pleasure. With several beach towns in New Jersey, it’s not hard to guess where many people will be spending their time this summer, and nothing is better than a book at the beach, especially with so many exciting summer book releases. So, where can one find books once down the shore? Luckily, There are several options.
- If you prefer Wildwood, NJ, then Hooked On Books is the place for you. Located on 3405 Pacific Ave in Wildwood, NJ, Hooked On Books is open from May thru September and offers both used books as well as current best sellers. Hooked on Books was also voted the best book store on the Jersey Shore, and opens May 10th to begin it’s 23rd business season!
Tip: Longtime owner of Wildwood apartments The Franmar, Mary Pappero has been going to Hooked on Books for years. “My grandkids always spend the summers with me and I’ve taken my them there since they were little! They loved it then and they love it now. Friendly people and great prices,” Mary gushed about Hooked on Books
- If you find yourself heading to Ocean City, NJ this summer (or anytime, it’s open year-round), you should make your way over to Bookateria Two in order to get your book fix. After suffering some damage at the hands of Hurricane Sandy this past fall, Bookateria Two reopened in March, and is located at 1052 Asbury Ave, in Ocean City, NJ, and offers used books perfect for the beach.
Tip: Thomas Malson says he spends a lot of time down the shore in the summer with his family and “likes The Bookateria because it gives me a chance to get away from all the ‘girl talk’ on vacations.”
- If you’re like me and take some coffee with your books, Stone Harbor Book Shop is the place for you. Stone Harbor Book Shop is located at 261 96th Street, Suite 107 in Stone Harbor, and sells new books, including best sellers and classics, as well as a large selection of children’s books, toys, gifts and cards. Stone Harbor Books has something for everyone, perfect for a family on vacation.
- If you’re looking for a friendly, locally owned bookstore, Barb’s Book Barn could be just what you’re looking for. A finalist in the best book store on the Jersey Shore contest, Barb’s Book Barn is a newer business, but well loved.
- If Cape May is where you’ll be residing this summer, don’t worry, you’re in luck too. The Cape Atlantic Book Company is open everyday from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. and located at 421 Washington St. in Cape May, NJ. The friendly staff offers book recommendations and encourages customers to call ahead and have a book set aside for them.
Tip: Lorraine Banach, longtime resident of Cape May considers herself an avid reader, “I’m always in there looking for something new to read now that I’m retired. It’s a nice little place and closer to my house than some of the other bigger stores.”
Header photo via http://bookaunt.blogspot.com/2012/06/ya-beach-reads.html